Sunday, February 13, 2022

Blog #6 - EOTO Presentation Recap

I learned a lot during the EOTO presentations in class. Everyone who spoke on a different technology was knowledgeable about their topic and it was interesting to hear the findings of each individual. A member of my group presented on the history and technological aspect of Bluetooth. I found his presentation the most interesting because I didn't know anything about the technology of Bluetooth before his project. Bluetooth is something that I have never really thought deeply about. My car doesn't have bluetooth, so I thought that I really only use it when I listen to music through my Apple Airpods. After listening to the EOTO project about Bluetooth, I learned that I actually use Bluetooth technology more than I think. The technology of Bluetooth is very advanced and the concept is something that is difficult for me to even wrap my mind around.

During the EOTO presentation, I learned that Bluetooth has actually been around a lot longer than I thought. I learned that indoor wireless communication systems became a thing in 1993! This surprised me because I did not know that wireless communication has been around for that long. The first consumer Bluetooth device was launched in 1999 as a hands-free mobile headset. This device earned the "Best of show technology award" because the technology shocked so many people around the world. 

Today, Bluetooth is a common feature that many people use daily. When Apple came out with Bluetooth headphones - "Airpods" - in December of 2016, it shocked many people. Today, just 5 years later, at least 86 percent of all new vehicles offer Bluetooth and about 44 million bluetooth speakers are sold yearly. Some commonly used Bluetooth devices include Apple carplay, bluetooth earbuds, smart watches and mobile hotspots. The projected units of Bluetooth to be sold in 2022 is 4.9 billion. The advancement of Bluetooth has quickly developed in almost all everyday devices like cars and phones. 

I enjoyed doing the EOTO project because it was an interactive way to present to the class and to learn about the history of popular technologies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog 10 - When is it time to end a bad relationship?

  It is often said that technology is supposed to make our lives easier, and in many cases I believe this is true.  Think of the first passe...